Sunday, March 17, 2013

Koutouki Meze


 Hey everyone haven't blogged in a while, I've been super busy catching babies (no joke). Anyways some friends and I went to Koutouki near university area last Saturday night for some late night appetizers and drinks. When we walked in we were greeted with some loud music and a lively atmostphere with a belly dancer entertaining guests tableside. Immediately, my friend Eric was seduced by the dancer who whisked him away with her scarf. The feel of the place and the menu reminded me of my time in Europe comprising mainly of mezenthes (equivalent of appetizers to share); though I thought of them as tapas.


First up the Dolmades (grapevine leaves stuffed with ground beef and rice), I quite enjoyed these. They reminded me of cabbage rolls but with a different flavor. The lemon added a nice acid taste and they were served with a generour portion of taziki sauce. We also ordered some pita bread which was nothing special but warm and soft and a good complement to our dishes.


The Keftedes (really just meatballs) were pretty average. A little bit bland for my taste and a little bit dry too. We also ordered some roast potatoes (I was hoping they would be something special, like potatoes bravos or something) unfortunately they were didn't have much flavor and were drenched in olive oil.


The Spanakopita (spinach & feta pastry) were absolutely delicious. The dish came after the rest of our food and was baked fresh. The phyllo pastry wrapping (many thin layers like in baklava) was warm and crisp and the spinach feta was warm and gooey on the inside. Definitely my favorite dish of the night.

Koutouki is a nice little restaurant. Nothing too fancy but as soon as I stepped in I felt like I was back in Europe where the performers are hustling you for a tip and even late at night (we arrived around 9:00PM) there is a busy energy in the air (something Edmonton sorely lacks). Some of the food could have been more polished considering the price ($8-12 per plate), though they do have a nice student discount Tuesday nights (30% off the bill). I would like to come back and try some of the seafood (since my friend Robyn doesn't eat it) or perhaps the Meze menu (a dozen appetizers for all to share). Verdict: 74/100

Meze By Koutouki on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment